[Wine] Centralized DB of Windows Applications

Austin English austinenglish at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 22:48:39 CDT 2008

On 4/2/08, tpreitzel <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Today, WINE has a distributed database of applications owned by the users of WINE. Practically, this solution is probably the only legal way to proceed unless the WINE project literally funds the purchase of every application for Windows. * Maybe, an owner of a specific program can loan the masters of their Windows programs to the WINE project with the guarantee that they'll be returned within a specific time frame in the same usable condition as shipped? ;) I don't see the current process of a distributed database as the best option available. True, it may be the only practical one, however.
>

>  * More likely, NOT every application for Windows needs to be purchased to allow full and rapid development of WINE, but rather only one of kind program produced by a specific vendor in any given year, e.g. one EA game produced in 2002.

There are thousands of windows programs, many of which run without
problems. By filing bugs for those not running, and providing the
information requested, most problems can be solved. Flooding
developers with lots of programs to test and check for problems will
not quicken progress, but rather than delay it.