[Wine] Re: Unminimize / Repaint problem

hellork wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Apr 3 04:09:28 CDT 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:37 PM, L. Rahyen <research at science.su> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday April 2 2008 00:59:36 billstei wrote:
> >
> > > Can anyone confirm/reproduce this (with Wine 0.9.58 and Gnome 2.20) ?
> > >
> > > Start gnome terminal.
> > > $ regedit
> > > Click window Minimize button.
> > > Repeatedly click Gnome taskbar button "Registry", and unminimized regedit
> > > window intermittently fails to paint.
> > >
> > > I am getting similar repaint issues with various other programs too.
> > >
> > > Bill
> > >

> > In KDE everything works fine (in fact I'm using it for years and never seen
> > such problem). So I decided to try with GNOME and yes, I can
> > reproduce this issue. So this is GNOME-specific bug. Maybe this bug isn't
> > in WINE but in GNOME WM?
> >

> Interesting.
>
> I understand it's possibly to change Gnome's WM from metacity to some
> other WM. Some folks on the Gentoo lists talk about doing it once in
> awhile. I've never done it but maybe there's someone here who has a
> background in that sort of thing and wants to try?
>
> I do use Gnome but haven't tried verifying this report as of yet.
> Given a bit of direction I could try changing the WM.
>
> - Mark

Confirmed: Metacity always fails to paint unminimized wine windows.

Compiz has not this problem, because windows are not really minimized in a classic sense, but instead are drawn into off-screen buffers, I think.

Gnome can run the default, metacity, or compiz. Use ps to find out which one you are running.

[foo]$ show metaci
 2562 ?        00:00:01 metacity
[foo]$ which show
alias show='ps -A | grep -i'