[Wine] Re: Usefull dll overrides

Jim wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Apr 4 03:15:34 CDT 2008

Frank wrote:
> I've been trying to get a game running that is sooo close, but just not there, and I see from the Office 2007 thread that other people are pretty much shooting in the dark about which dll overrides are useful for different things too.
>     I was wondering if we could gather the different overrides that work for different apps and put them in one place, maybe make it sticky? Maybe we need one list for games that have 3d problems, and another for apps that have specific requirements.
>   Does anyone else think this might help? I know that there are several recommendations in the AppDB of dlls that work for different programs, but I think it might be nice to find them all in one place, just to have a starting place for getting unlisted apps to work.

The AppDB is all in one place.  I don't see how duplicating it in a sticky helps.  If a workaround to a Wine bug (i.e. a DLL override) is relevant to a particular application it should be listed on the AppDB page for that application as well as a link to the bug in Bugzilla.

The forums are better suited as a tool for discovering what workarounds work for an application though discussion.  After the discovery of such information, we should make a more concerted effort to insure that information is added to the AppDB.

Forums/mailing-lists are tools for discussion not storage of data and documents.  IMHO stickies should be limited to short abstracts of popular information sources and where to find them (eg wiki articles, the AppDB, etc).

Just my $0.02.