[Wine] Re: After years - goodbye to Wine-Users

Mark Knecht wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Apr 5 12:59:09 CDT 2008

DARKGuy wrote:

> I, however, find it a silly decision to make. I don't see what's the
> big issue about it.

We each get to make our own decisions. You have a right to think it's 'silly'. I have a right to think your thinking it 'silly' is 'insensitive'. (I don't, by the way, think it's insensitive. I'm just making a point.)

<SNIP>

DARKGuy wrote:

> You seem to be unsatisfied at the "lack of techy-ness" of the emails.
> Well, let me remember you that this is wine-USERS.

Not at all. I'm unsatisfied with the link to the forums this list has lost focus on the topic. I'm not saying it's gone, I'm saying the focus has decreased. That may change and hopefully improve over time. I hope it does. But for now it's not worth my time receiving *every* comment made in the forums with the hope of weeding out one or two that I might be able to comment on.

DARKGuy wrote:

> "Oh, I'm too elitist, wine-users isn't for me because of the noobs" is
> what your email said to me in a few words. Not with intentions to be
> offensive, in fact it was very polite :), but you know, it's a downer.

I most certainly NEVER said that. I was very polite, purposely so. If you read anything into what I wrote then that's you, not me.

Heck, I'm a noob, when compared to Dan, vitamin, Tom W and many, many others. I am someone who has used Wine off and on for years and figure (Hope? Pray?) I have something to offer. However life is a trade off and if the forums are going to be so free form as to allow anything be written down AND if the linkage is going to put EVERY comment made in the forums into my in-box without any context and leave it to me to find it then I don't need it simply because I know myself and I won't read the messages and try hard enough to make a difference.

DARKGuy wrote:

> I sincerely hope you can re-think your decision and, instead, help
> improve the mailing list's quality (and the emails too) by helping the
> new users.

I will not. That decision is made, at least for now.

I'll watch the forums over time and see if it becomes more worth my time to rejoin the list. Should someone decide to split the two again I'd be back pretty much immediately. I figure the noobs ALWAYS had the opportunity to join the list, if they wanted to. This was a decision taken from on high that does have a downside at least to some of us, but certainly not all.

Oh, by the way, if it's not clear I AM responding FROM the forums where I hope I can still help a little. I may be the first person to have quit the list and moved to the forum. I'm not happy about that. Messing with all this quoting took too much time.

Unfortunately for those who I might possibly be able to help this will mean I might try to help 1 person once a week instead of trying to help 1-3 people every day. That's the downside of this linkage. But hey - at least I'm a forum member! I'll read some threads here and maybe I'll get to like it. Who know? I've talked to a couple of folks that just quit completely. I don't intend to do that. No need to since the forums don't insert themselves forcibly into my life.

Cheers,
Mark