[Wine] Re: Writing an automated install script

Timeout wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Apr 6 11:05:01 CDT 2008

In this section:

> where are those dlls coming from -- did you copy them there from
> a Windows installation?  If so, can you replace the lines
>
> > wine regsvr32.exe msvcr70.dll
> > wine regsvr32.exe mfc42.dll
> >
> with
> winetricks vcrun6 vcrun2003
> ?

vcrun 2003 is installing msvcr71, which is not quite the same. I guess an empty file would do as well, it's just for the registration of fusion.dll.
Later on all my logs msvcr80 or msvcp 80 are rather used.
I take them from my Windows on dual booting.

> Jetzt: Windows abfrage:
> Why install Office 2003?  Is that required to use Trados?  If so, maybe
> just do it no matter what.

 Msoffice 2003 (or 2007 when it's working) are quite necessary.
First in trados for the conversion of texts using Workbench. Any processing of files other than .ttx and .rtf are using Word in the background to transform the file to process it to rtf.

SDLX is using Word in the background to convert any file (except rtf) to SDLX own's format (idf if I remember) and only then you will be able to process the file.

Word (when it will be working properly) is enabling you to have a spell check which is crucial for a translator. Furthermore, Trados is said not only to use VBA, but even word's own script format.

Using Open Office instead of Word on Trados is on the wish list of Trados' users but it's not likely to happen any time soon since from the point of view of SDL, OpenOffice is changing too often and even less documented than Word to base their software on it. Seems to be too much work to adapt the macros after every update.

> If you're providing this script for Wine developers, we
> don't need any sort of "do you want to retry" option.

I know. But I won't get the script if I don't plan for my own use. And I know as long as it's not 100% perfect that I may have to intervene myself to get it installed. Seing from the point of view of my husband (I don't pay by the hour so I can ask for it to be more comfortable) - He has to be half of the night next week because of an update of his company and even watching TV is boring him at that time so I know I can ask more.
My goal is to use it as end user too - that way I could also send the script to my colleagues.