[Wine] How about this replacement of WINE.

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Sun Apr 6 11:10:25 CDT 2008

On Sunday April 6 2008 14:44:15 bussuser wrote:
> hendrik wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:55:00AM -0500, bussuser wrote:
> > > Has the wine project team pondered whether to move WINE into the
> > > kernel?
> >
> > In my opinion, there's too much in the kernel already.  But I'm not part
> > of the wine project or part of the kernel team.
> >
> > -- hendrik
>
> In my opinion, the linux kernel should have two version - server version
> and desktop version, just like ms windows.

	No, I do not see any reason to have different kernels for desktop and server.
If someone *really* needs special kernel he/she can and should compile it
from source because such need indicate very specific (non-standard)
requirements.
	BTW, I'm using similar kernels on my desktop and two servers.

> so the technique like as unified  kernel can enter into the desktop linux
> kernel. it can help linux to have a big desktop market share.

	Why do you think that servers don't need WINE?
	Real world example: I have collocated server which runs Windows software. It
is doing important financial work so if it fails, I can and probably will
lose some money. Therefore stability is really important issue - so Windows
of any version isn't an option here; Windows always crashes sooner or later
(yeah, I checked that multiple times), I cannot use it.
	Fortunately WINE solves this problem - if Windows software is 100% stable
with it (which is easy to determine after some weeks or months of testing)
then I can be sure that it will work really well even for important
applications.
	Performance is also important so if there is some way to improve it
somewhat - that's would be good.
	However, I didn't actually tried "unified kernel" so I cannot
actually tell how useful it is. But at least I can tell if it is useful for
desktop then it can be useful for server too (if it really improves
performance of Windows applications). Of course if it isn't 100% stable then
it is useless.
	Unfortunately so far I didn't find any benchmarks results which indicate that
it really improves performance and I didn't find information about its
stability; personally I don't have enough free time to test such
experimental thing myself.
	For now I have some doubts about its practical usefulness (lack of good
documentation, no real-world benchmark results which proves usefulness, no
sync with current kernel and WINE versions, and other problems).