[Wine] Failure to startup BF1942

maartsen wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 9 16:05:33 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm having some problems getting BF1942 up and running.

Some system info first
Gentoo installation on a AMD64 running linux 2.6.24.
Using the ~ builds, so I get a Wine update every 2 days now [Wink]. So I'm using Wine 0.9.59 and it was build with the following properties
Code:
"X alsa cups esd gecko jpeg ldap ncurses opengl oss xml -dbus -hal -jack -lcms -nas -samba -scanner"

The installation was a blast and the upgrade went just fine, but running the game is a complete different story.

Code:
wildcard at amd64 ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EA GAMES/Battlefield 1942 $ winedbg BF1942.exe
WineDbg starting on pid 0017
0x7ee43830: movl        %esi,0x0(%esp)
Wine-dbg>

Ok. So to me it looks like a null pointer to me (or something). If you running it with "wine BF1942.exe", you will see anything at all.

I do think it's NOT related to the game itself but to some settings of Wine. When I was searching the web, I found that somebody else has got the same issue I have, but with a different game: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=147

Does anybody have a bright idea on what to do next. More tracing in winedbg, wine in gdb??

Best regards,
Michel