[Wine] Generating a properly configured Wine installation

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Apr 10 12:17:41 CDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
>  Austin English wrote:
>  | You could run wineprefixcreate, then use a shell script to edit
>  | ~/.wine/user.reg & ~/.wine/system.reg.
>
>  I have been storing "good" copies of these two files, and using a shell
>  script to copy them into the appropriate location.  Unfortunately, this
>  does not seem to have the desired effect.  For example, if I
>
>  use winecfg to set the DPI to 160,
>  exit wine,
>  back up user.reg and system.reg,
>  run wineprefixcreate,
>  copy user.reg and system.reg back into ~/.wine/,
>  and start a new program,
>
>  the new program starts at 96 DPI again.
>
>  Clearly I am doing something wrong.

Two suggestions.
1. If you must modify user.reg and system.reg by hand, make sure
that wineserver has shut down first, e.g. wineserver -w.
2. Rather than modifying those files by hand, use regedit to do it.
See http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks for an example of how to script this.
- Dan