[Wine] Re: Testing basic direct x capability

qwertymn wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Apr 11 15:45:13 CDT 2008

Sorry to interfere with this dicussion, but i'm afraid a have bad news for you:

Here's my experience of using ATI-card + fglrx-drivers for more then 2 years :

Spontaneous reboots of my computer
Logging out from X-server at random stages in games
Never ran a successful complete test from wine's test suite in ddraw/d3d8/d3d9
Several crashes in multiple games that were reported to work fine in wine.

I could extend the list with several other issues, but let's keep it short:

I upgraded my computer 2 months ago, and got me an nVidia-card again (like i had before i got that damned ATI-card). Experience for last two months:

Never got a reboot/spontaneaous logout
Absolute stability
All test from wine run fine.
Nice performance/stability in games.

I'm sorry to say so, but untill ATI improves their Linux drivers I guess you're doomed :(. The only games i was able to run more or less without problems were OpenGl games like Doom3/ Serious Sam/ Enemy Territory. All DirectX Games just ran sh*t.
Go and get yourself a new card.... Regards.