[Wine] wine dpi too large

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Fri Apr 11 22:11:30 CDT 2008

Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Friday 11 April 2008 05:38:40 L. Rahyen wrote:
>
>> On Thursday April 10 2008 22:52:14 influensa wrote:
>>
>>> I accidentally put the wine font to 496 dpi, because im stupid,
>>> [Embarassed] so does anyone  know a way to change all the settings
>>> back to default? [Question]
>>>
>> Just run winecfg again. Of course it will be "cropped" but you can
>> move it on the screen in order to reach buttons you need.
>>
>> In most cases you can move windows larger than your screen (and all
>> other windows) with Alt+Mouse, that is press and hold Alt key and
>> move your mouse - this will move a window under the cursor. Sometimes
>> Meta ("Windows") key is used instead of Alt (this depends on your
>> configuration of window manager). Therefore you can move winecfg with
>> oversized fonts on the screen in order to reach all parts of its GUI.
>>
>> Explanation seems to be a little long but actually this is very
>> simple and fast way (much faster than editing registry by hand). It
>> takes just few seconds to change from, say, 480 DPI back to 96 (or
>> whatever you want).
>>

> Maybe a dumb question, but why is this setting in winecfg in the first
> place? Why can't Wine simply use the DPI info from the X server?

Simple, the DPI setting may be incorrect.  I've seen folks using small
fonts (96 dpi) on screens with 1024x768 or higher resolutions.  This
would make some programs open into too small an area to be usable.  Add
to this that winecfg does emulate the ability of some systems to custom
set the dpi value (I use 133 on my Thinkpad and 120 on my Mac because of
the screen layouts, as I've stated in this mailing list before.)   Thus
this ability was retained and a default of 96 dpi was retained.  Of
course, you can always edit Wine's registry and set it to any value you
please just to see what happens.  However, 496 is way to large a number
unless you have some sort of projection system that can handle that high
a resolution (I'm thinking somewhere above 10,000 pixels on each side
onto a 2m x 2m area at a minimum.)  Of course, some of us would love to
have a system with that kind of graphics power.

James McKenzie