[Wine] Might and Magic - Doesn't read CD Drive

ViperDaimao wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Apr 13 21:06:07 CDT 2008

I'm on a dell inspiron 6000 laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 and WINE .9.46 installed. I installed the Might and Magic Millennium Edition (Might and Magic 4-7), and am having problems playing the games. When I try to run the games, it asks for the CD, even though the cd is in the drive.

When I go to the Wine Configuration and the drives tab, there is no D drive listed. So I hit 'Autodetect' and it creates a D drive with this path.
/media/cdrom
I hit apply and then ok, and try again, and still doesn't register that there's a CD in the D drive. I go back to the configuration screen and the D drive is gone.

I look at the ~/.wine/dosdevices location at the drives and still see a D shortcut, but it's not like the other drives. It has 2 colons "D::" and doesn't go anywhere when I double click on it. It just tries gives me an error

"D:: Cannot Be Opened
No application is known for this kind of file."

Can anyone help me to get these games working.