[Wine] Winelibs question.....

Ove Kaaven ovek at arcticnet.no
Wed Apr 16 01:00:40 CDT 2008

AndyA skrev:
> I assume, athough it's not *that* clear to me that the product of the excersise is a straight elf binary that I can run from a prompt.

Actually, you're supposed to end up with a .so, which Wine can load
after bootstrapping. Then your application launcher is either a symlink
to Wine itself (after booting, Wine will look at how it's invoked and
look for a .so of the same name in the same directory), or it can be the
wineapploader shell script. The winelib executables that come with Wine,
such as winecfg, use wineapploader. Or you can simply invoke your
Winelib executables by typing "wine appname", where appname is the name
of your .so file.

As for reliability, I've seen someone claim to use Wine to run
mission-critical web services because it crashes less often than
Windows, so there's hope.