[Wine] Thai keyboard input does not work

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 16 11:49:54 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 09:09 -0500, nlmarco wrote:
> Btw. vitamin, you didn't clarify why the LANG environment variable has any
> effect on the keyboard layout. IMHO it should not have any effect, but it
> should solely specify what language an application uses in its UI. If the
> LANG variable controlled the keyboard layout, switching on-the-fly between
>  multiple keyboard layouts would not be possible, since you cannot change
> an environment variable for an application while the application is running.

Of course you can.

man 3 setenv

But more seriously, isn't the issue not the language the UI appears in,
but what input method is being used, and that choice is down to X11 I
think, not WINE. Certainly, adding a Thai keyboard layout to GNOME
(System --> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts), and setting a key to
switch between the layouts (defaults to both alt keys IIRC) worked to
enter 'some sort of unicode' into notepad running under wine. I have no
East Asian fonts installed here (certainly not under wine), so that
would explain the missing characters - they appeared simply as the
windows "character I don't have glyphs for" glyph. YMMV.

Tom