[Wine] "radio mobile" difficulty by wine newbie

Marc Payne marc321 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 23:32:30 CDT 2008

Well, as Dan said, never run wine as root. When you open a terminal
window, its "working directory" will be your home directory (that is,
/home/your_username) and the prompt should end in a $. This is where
you want to run wine.

Any programs installed with wine end up in a subdirectory within
~/.wine/drive_c by default. This translates to
'/home/your_username/.wine/drive_c'. The dot before wine is
intentional there; it makes the directory hidden. If you are browsing
your home folder with a graphical file manager (Konqueror or Nautilus,
for example), you will not see it. There is usually an option to view
hidden files and folders. In Konqueror (if you use KDE), go to View ->
Show Hidden Files. I can't remember the exact menu for Nautilus...
Once that is done, you will see all the dot files and folders. Keep in
mind that if you only ran wine as root, there will be no .wine
directory yet -- there probably is, however, a /root/.wine directory
since you ran it as root, but that is irrelevant now.

In your terminal window (not as root!), run:

wine --version

to make sure wine is installed. It should print out the version
number. If that works, try running wineprefixcreate. If you had never
run wine with your regular user account, running wineprefixcreate will
automatically create the .wine folder for you. You can now browse to
the .wine folder as I described above and view its contents. At this
point, you should be able to follow the instructions I gave you, from
step 1, to install Radio Mobile.

Let me know if you have any problems or questions along the way, or if
something isn't totally clear.

With all this said, I recommend browsing through the FAQ:
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ. The information there is much more concise
and thorough than my explanations.

> I could have sworn the first time I ran the program under wine,
> it took some time to load. Now it starts up right away. Is there
> some step using wine that only happens the first time a program is run?

The reason is that wine has to create and populate the ~/.wine
directory when it is run for the first time. It creates all the
necessary registry files, a basic Windows directory structure, config
files, etc., on the first run. Subsequent runs are much faster.