[Wine] MS Internet explorer instead of Gecko

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at sprintpcs.com
Sun Apr 20 18:50:34 CDT 2008

person7 wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a windows application called Anita (terminal emulation sofware from www.april.se) that runs just fine on Linux with WINE.
> The problem is that Anita needs to open an HTML page and display a PDF file.

Internet Explorer does not and never will display PDFs.  It is an Adobe
plugin that performs this function.  I don't know if this capability is
built into the HTML rendering engine for Wine.
> It works on Windows - terminal emulation software displays the PDF file without any problems but it doesn't work on linux. It displays  a blank page.

And this will continue to happen until you install the Linux version of
Adobe Acrobat plugin for Firefox.  You don't need Wine to do what you
are attempting to do.  Firefox does this very well.

Installing Internet Explorer under Linux is a tedious task made easier
by the ies4linux project.  Google them and follow the instructions.

BTW, if she is using a Mac, the last version of supported IE is 5.2.
Firefox, again, is your friend and runs on both Intel and PowerPC Macs.

James McKenzie