[Wine] Re: Installing Windows Drivers in WINE

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 22 08:52:16 CDT 2008

Llewen wrote:
> I thought I read somewhere that it was actually possible to install Windows drivers in WINE.

Yes you read correctly. You _CAN_ install drivers and some drivers might even install properly. However the only "drivers" that Wine currently supports are the copy-protection type "drivers". In most cases these drivers doing extra checks on a system to verify presence of debuggers or any other "snooping" tools.

In the future it might be possible to use "filter" type drivers - like most USB drivers. They don't talk to hardware directly but interpret data received/sent from/to the device.

No hardware drivers are currently supported on Wine. And most likely no real hardware drivers will ever work on Wine.