[Wine] wine and detaching a remote X application

Zulan wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 22 12:17:26 CDT 2008

Hi,

I would like to run a windows application (civilization 4 beyond the sword pitboss server) on a remote linux machine. After the start I want to use the GUI and then detach it.

It works fine when $DISPLAY is a:
ssh-X forwarding: But then the application does when I the ssh connection is closed.
Xvfb: But this wont let me use the GUI.

Until now I have tried:

1) Running the application through a xmove DISPLAY to start it on the ssh-X-forwarded screen and then move it onto a Xvfb. Unfortunately xmove seems unable to support GLX, and wine/pitboss seems to require GLX (it crashes in this case with an OpenGL error message).

2) Running an Xvnc (xf4vnc, which is supposed to support GLX). In that case ghe application crashes and Xvnc segaults. I can prevent the latter with -noreset. The error message I get is:

> err:wgl:has_opengl glx_version is 1.2 and GLX_SGIX_fbconfig extension is unsupported. Expect problems.
> wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address (nil) (thread 0009), starting debugger..

My versions are:
- Gentoo 2.6.17-gentoo-r4
- wine-0.9.59
- X Window System Version 1.3.0
- xf4vnc 4.3.0.104
- xmove.2.0beta2

It seems that both xmove and xf4vnc are not under current development, but I havent found a modern replacement of them.

I am aware this is not only a wine question but might also belong to different projects, any helpful response is highly appreciated!
I will gladly add more information and traces if that helps you to help me.

Best Regards
 Zulan