[Wine] The single major remaining Wine complaint everyone makes...

MukiEX wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 23 04:22:09 CDT 2008

So Wine's main problem right off the bat, the big elephant in the room nobody really talks much about, is that its *apperance and performance in 2D apps is abysmal. It's odd, because 3D apps (after a small framerate drop) perform just fine. Maybe there's some technical explanation as to why 2D applications feel so sluggish by comparison, but that's not what I'm here to discuss.

I think the main reason as to why it bothers me so much that wine *looks horrible and performs badly in anything from Notepad to Office is that if this particular problem was fixed (e.g. had a *much* higher priority on the fixit list than catching up to Adobe's or Microsoft's latest app), Linux would be a signficantly better sell on the desktop. As it stands, Windows applications running in any Linux distro look like shoddy second class citizens. Imagine if someone picked up a Linux PC, installed their MS Office student edition, or Flash, or iTunes or whatever, and they couldn't tell that it *wasn't* a native Linux app. That bridges the gap in a major way: at that point Linux stops being seen as a seperate operating system. Actually, at that point, to most people using Linux for the first time, it'd be seen as some magical PC that doesn't need drivers for new hardware.

This is yet another one of those situations where I really wish I was capable of programming, because this would be at the top of my open source contribution list.

* Non-antialiased fonts, buttons/widgets can't be customized and still have the strict appearance of their Windows 3.1 brethren. No, changing colors isn't enough. It hasn't been for about six years now.