[Wine] The single major remaining Wine complaint everyone makes...

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Apr 23 05:36:37 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 2:22 AM, MukiEX <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> So Wine's main problem right off the bat, the big elephant
> in the room nobody really talks much about, is that its
> *apperance and performance in 2D apps is abysmal.
> It's odd, because 3D apps (after a small framerate drop) perform just fine.

When engineering a complex system, it often makes sense to
worry about correctness first, then performance.  Optimizing
something that's broken is a waste of effort.  And worrying about
cosmetic problems before things are usable is kind of like putting
lipstick on a pig.

But I agree that Wine is far enough along that it makes sense
to fix performance and cosmetic problems, and although perhaps
you can't tell, some have already been fixed.
I expect we'll see more such improvements after the 1.0 release.
- Dan