[Wine] The single major remaining Wine complaint everyone makes...

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 07:08:22 CDT 2008

On 23/04/2008, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:50 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  And Wine on Linux is already a better Windows than Vista.

> Maybe for you, but not for anybody who needs, say,
> this year's version of Photoshop or Quicken.

OK, it's a better Windows 98 than Vista ;-p

What makes Wine a serious substitute for Windows is not IMO the huge
apps like Office or even Photoshop - it's the thousands of little
business crapware applications which small businesses utterly rely on,
but the company disappeared years ago. I'm more surprised when such
things don't run on Wine than when they do. (We run such an app on
Wine at work.)

Catching up with the very latest stuff (apps using .NET 2.0, VC8, etc)
does of course require new stuff in Wine.

- d.