[Wine] The single major remaining Wine complaint everyone makes...

DARKGuy . dark.guy.2008 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 10:07:55 CDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:52 AM, MukiEX <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> So Wine's main problem right off the bat, the big elephant in the room nobody really talks much about, is that its *apperance and performance in 2D apps is abysmal. It's odd, because 3D apps (after a small framerate drop) perform just fine. Maybe there's some technical explanation as to why 2D applications feel so sluggish by comparison, but that's not what I'm here to discuss.
>
>  I think the main reason as to why it bothers me so much that wine *looks horrible and performs badly in anything from Notepad to Office is that if this particular problem was fixed (e.g. had a *much* higher priority on the fixit list than catching up to Adobe's or Microsoft's latest app), Linux would be a signficantly better sell on the desktop. As it stands, Windows applications running in any Linux distro look like shoddy second class citizens. Imagine if someone picked up a Linux PC, installed their MS Office student edition, or Flash, or iTunes or whatever, and they couldn't tell that it *wasn't* a native Linux app. That bridges the gap in a major way: at that point Linux stops being seen as a seperate operating system. Actually, at that point, to most people using Linux for the first time, it'd be seen as some magical PC that doesn't need drivers for new hardware.
>
>  This is yet another one of those situations where I really wish I was capable of programming, because this would be at the top of my open source contribution list.
>
>  * Non-antialiased fonts, buttons/widgets can't be customized and still have the strict appearance of their Windows 3.1 brethren. No, changing colors isn't enough. It hasn't been for about six years now.

Well, IMHO, I would love if WINE controls could be "skinned" with more
than .msstyles, maybe trying to use the GTK/QT toolkit to draw the
window controls (specified by a parameter... some crazy windows
programs use a weird way of changing the own window's controls
appearance, such as Garena (previously known as GG Client) or other
games). Then again I guess performance and stability is the main
concern right now.

You can tell WINE to use a Luna .msstyles if you have one though, so
it looks more "at home" :)