[Wine] Preference of Linux flavors

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 17:31:01 CDT 2008

2008/4/23 DRNewcomb <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:

> I recently set up a Linux machine after several years of being stuck with only Windows. I've used Linux from as far back as when you had to load Slackware from a stack of floppies.  When I loaded Linux on my current machine I picked Fedora just because I was familiar with Red Hat.  Now, I'm beginning to question the wisdom that decision. Fedora seems a bit too Windows-like for my tastes. I'm currently leaning toward switching to Debian.  I understand that Debian normally is not the most bleeding-edge distribution and is fiercely dedicated to only distributing free software.  I see a lot of Wine applications reported for Ubuntu and was wondering if there's any particular reasons why I'd want to pick one distribution over the other for use with Wine?

None really. Only whether the packages are updated in a timely fashion.

The feel of Fedora will depend mostly I think on whether you're
running GNOME or KDE. I think KDE is very Windowslike (to the point
where I occasionally get confused that KDE apps aren't on my work XP
box or Windows apps aren't on my home Linux box). GNOME is quite
different, though I don't like it personally. Ubuntu also supports the
lightweight Xfce environment.

Wine runs just the same in all of them ;-)

- d.