[Wine] Wine memory problem

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Apr 25 13:04:45 CDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 8:27 AM, sumo <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>  > Are you having some actual problem?
>
>  Yes. i have actual problem - resource control for multiusers space.
>  I use ulimit for restriction of virtual memory. If this memory is limited. my users cannot use wine.

You're not alone.  Other people also use ulimit similarly (though not
with wine), e.g.
http://wiki.egee-see.org/index.php/How_to_limit_per-process_physical_memory_consumption_on_WNs

It's a shame that ulimit doesn't offer a limit on
physical memory, which is what you really want, I bet.
But fear not, the kernel developers are on it!  See

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/2/25/124
http://community.livejournal.com/openvz/21817.html
http://lwn.net/Articles/246320/
https://ols2006.108.redhat.com/2007/Reprints/singh-Reprint.pdf

That's the direction I would go if I were you.  I don't know if this feature is
in mainline distributions yet, it's so new.  Maybe Hardy.
What version of Linux are you on, and do you have control over the kernel?
- Dan