[Wine] Who asking users to install native DirectX?

DARKGuy . dark.guy.2008 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 18:21:13 CDT 2008

Sorry, I had sent it to James and not to the WINE list :P

-----

One thing is to have DirectX installed and another thing is to copy a
 DLL (in the case of NFSMW that you need dxinput_8 and d3dx9_30.dll or
 something).

 If users are using the native DLLs is because the builtin ones don't
 work. If you want users to stop using WHAT WORKS, then do something
 about the builtin functionality. I understand that hard work has been
 given to DX lately, it is very noticeable in WoW, and the concern of
 adding the shader emulation for GeForce4 and ATI-something cards.

 When I need an app/game to work I'll do ANYTHING possible to make it
 work. I don't care if "it isn't the right way". It works? yes, and
 that's what Windows users expect/do. Talk about the Halo 2 XP hack. Is
 it right? no. It is intended to work like that? no. It works? yes,
 then users are happy. M$ won't do anything against users playing Halo
 2 on XP, I think you can make a difference and work very, very hard on
 DX so installing DX wouldn't be neccessary.

 I say leave the FAQ/AppDb DX entry online, but state that using the
 libraries is far more better than installing the whole DX package.
 Until WINE gets full DX support.