[Wine] Re: Wine memory problem

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Apr 28 07:58:28 CDT 2008

sumo wrote:

> > I have program which memory use 500MB for OS Windows, but this program + wine in OS Linux use 3.6 GB.
> > 1 wine+ program process use 3.6 GB virtual memory.
> > How to reduce quantity of used memory for 1 process?
>

> May be to set smaller quantity of physical memory in /dll/kernel32/heap.c
> file? Then the quantity of virtual memory will change proportionally?

No. This is done in preloader as one of the first things.
The reason preloader reserves all the memory (pretty much all of the lover 2GB) is to keep everything else [system libraries] out of it.

If you change that - you risking of having some system library loaded in the middle of the address space that Wine have to use for windows application.