[Wine] Wine memory problem

Darragh Bailey felix at compsoc.nuigalway.ie
Mon Apr 28 13:36:40 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:33:10AM -0500, sumo wrote:

> Dan Kegel wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:26 AM, sumo <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> > The preloader has nothing to do with physical memory.
> > You still don't understand the difference between address space
> > reservation and physical memory allocation.
> > [
>

> I perfectly understand it. You write to me that this necessary operating for wine preloader!
> Thank's. I shall try to change the specified values

You do understand that on Windows every application has it's own 4GB
virtual address space? Where the lower 2GB are available to the process
and upper 2GB are reserved for system use (excluding using the tuning to
make the split 3GB/1GB)?

Wine is reserving the lower 2GB to mimic the windows behaviour. The
alternative being that linux system libraries that are loaded/used by
wine can appear that the addresses in the same space that the process
thinks it has "exclusive" access to do whatever it wants to.

It's less that it is necessary operating for the wine preloader and more
required by windows applications therefore the wine preloader must mimic
the same behaviour that appears on Windows to stop Windows applications
trying to use the address space that already has other librarieslocated
in. Since wine can't alter the Windows programs behaviour, it must
prevent the linux libraries that it uses from being accessible under the
virtual address space that Windows reserves for each process.

If you are curious about this enter "windows virtual address space" into
google and hit the "I'm feeling lucky" button.

--
Darragh

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."