[Wine] Wineserver causing heavy CPU load

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Apr 28 17:20:32 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 3:09 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I can't give logs or traces, but I can give you an anecdote - a year
>  or so ago, I used Google's original Linux port of Picasa (the one
>  which comes with its own custom Wine) on Ubuntu Edgy a *lot*. And I
>  would see explorer.exe using absolutely as much CPU as it could. I
>  noticed this because my laptop kept heating up to the point where it
>  shut itself down ...
>
>  (Now I run the Windows version of Picasa under stock Wine ;-) )

Have you tried the latest release of Picasa for Linux?
It's still a somewhat old Wine, but it shouldn't behave like that.
We (I work on Picasa for Linux) hope to update Picasa for Linux to
wine-1.0 sometime this summer.

>  The symptoms sound similar, I'm wondering if it's related.

Nah.  The recent runaway explorer.exe was IME-related.

>  Oh, and explorer.exe's VM footprint was listed in top (which I know is
>  not entirely accurate) as about a gigabyte.

That's normal, not very interesting.  RSS footprint is more interesting,
as would be strace -p output.
- Dan