[Wine] How to install Wine on ubuntu 7.04 or 8.04

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Apr 29 08:47:11 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:12 AM, msmallya <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>  I have just installed ubuntu 7.04 on my PC.
>
>  My database is on Linux (RHL9) / Oracle 9i.
>
>  Now I want to run VB6 applications.  Is it possible?

Yes, but you will probably run into problems; when you do, come back
to this list for advice, and tell us what went wrong.

I see we already had this conversation at
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wine/119708-wine-installation-red-hat-linux-4-5-a.html
but I didn't reply to your last question.  Sorry, I should have
asked you to come to this forum, which I actually monitor.

>  I understand that I have to install
>
>  1) Wine
>  2) mdac27
>  3) vb6run (vb6 run time)
>  4) oracle 9i client.
>
>  Then run VB6 application.
>
>  Please help me step by step

1) Reinstall the current version of Ubuntu if you can.
You have an old one, the latest is 8.04, just released.
Then just add Wine in "Add/Remove Programs"
That will take care of the problem you had last week.

2, 3) See http://wiki.winehq.org/
Read the page there about Winetricks, then do
  wget http://kegel.com/wine/winetricks
  sh winetricks mdac27 vb6run

4) http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4531 gives
me hope that you can just run the Windows installer for Oracle Client 9i
under Wine.  (You might have to install Sun's JRE for Windows under Wine first,
I don't know.)

Good luck!
- Dan