[Wine] More than 50% performance decrease.

chris at schlagmichtod.de chris at schlagmichtod.de
Wed Apr 30 03:09:10 CDT 2008

Hello,

I haven't played WC3 for some time on my laptop with Intel Graphics but IIRC the OpenGL-stuff in wine was not that slow...
Also the intel-Graphics-drivers are not as good as in win, but in my expierience much closer to windows speed than most of the other 3D-Capable Linux-Drivers for your card.

So i guess it may be some configuration issue.
I do not use Ubuntu, so i don't know how ubuntu handles this by default, but as far as i can tell the Xorg intel-driver sets a quite small RAM-size by default.
In my case, on a Thinkpad X60s, the Intel-chip can reserve more than 200MB of RAM for its Graphics-rendering.
Xorg sets this value to 32MB by default IIRC.
So i guess you should ask Google for better Settings in Xorg for Intel chips.
I guess if you set at least 128MB Graphics-Ram, this should give quite an improvement ;)

greetings,
Chris

P.S.
May be dissappointing, but the Intel-Graphic-Chips are not top-Performers anyways. They're built for cheap and low-power eyecandy on the desktop ;)