[Wine] I need a few tips on installing wine and using it...

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 07:10:42 CDT 2008

2008/4/30 GOgGA <wineforum-user at winehq.org>:

> I'm very new to linux and want to get to know it better, but the problem i have is what version of wine must i install and how it works. I am running Ubuntu 7.10 and would like to run a few apps from windows xp.(like office 2007 etc)

Wine 0.9.59 is in 7.10 and you can install it from Synaptic or
whatever as usual.

If you want to keep up to date with the fortnightly releases (and you
really should), go to http://winehq.org/site/download-deb for how to
set up your system to get these automatically whenever you update your
system.

Office 2007 doesn't work perfectly in Wine - see
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=4992 for what's worked
for others.

Crossover Linux (the most popular commercial package of Wine -
Crossover employ many Wine developers, so buying their product
directly helps the winehq.org version) doesn't yet support Office 2007
fully either. I understand they will not be releasing Crossover 7.0
until it does.

- d.