[Wine] Steam games crash during gameplay

Arthur Squassabia cabose1213 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 03:17:33 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:24 PM, kynan <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> Hey everyone!
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 w/ ALSA and the Ubuntu-packaged ATI Catalyst driver
> for my ATI X1700.
>
> My problem is that I'll be playing CounterStrike or Half-Life or BrainBread
> for maybe 2 minutes if I'm lucky, and then suddenly my computer locks up. I
> get to hear the same 1-second slice of in-game sound over and over again and
> the screen stays frozen. In CS:CZ, it seems that sometimes the game will
> lock up my computer as soon as I finish joining a server, or a few seconds
> afterward.
>
> Another fun thing to note - if I happen to be watching a video while
> playing the game and the game doesn't have control of my mouse - when my
> computer locks up, I can still move my mouse cursor around and hear the
> video, but the screen is still frozen (except for mouse cursor) and I get to
> hear that slice of in-game sound repeated over and over.
>
> When it's locked up, Ctrl+Alt+Bksp does not work, and the only way to
> escape the situation is a hard shutdown by holding the power button down.
>
> One more thing, with CS:CZ, I usually get to play for a couple minutes on
> my own server, whereas I might get one or two seconds on an internet server
> before my computer locks up.

I'm not so sure how to fix the freezing but if you hit Ctrl + Alt + one of
the "F" keys you can try to log-in on a different session and try to kill
the process instead of hard booting. I think you'll have to set your
computer to boot in run level 3  to do this though. I'm not so sure how to
do this in ubuntu

--
"Black holes are where god divided by Zero."