[Wine] Re: autocad 2008 and wine

miciomax wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Aug 1 19:25:58 CDT 2008

JMS wrote:
> I've been looking into gdi32.dll without success. I've tried to export my .wine drive_c as a Crossover bottle to try and see what happens.
>
> They are still using wine 0.9.6 so I replaced kernell.32.so inside the crossover /SharedSupport/CrossOver/lib/wine/ with the wine 1.0 one to run autocad. And... surprise!! It runs, and the text is smooth and fast as in windows The problem is that this is a privative app and we don't have the source, but could be a beginning.
>
> Then, I copied the freefont libs and gdi32.so from crossover to my wine and launch autocad... all the menu fonts feel like in crossover but... our issue is still there.
>
> I think the problem could be in x11drv and not in gdi

> BTW I've worket out all my problems with dotnet20 using a build from here http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/
> Now all the errors and random crashes have gone. I can use Autocad as in windows but for the TTF. Previously I was using my own build and I think some libraries were missing.
> Silver for me If someone else can reproduce my results.
>
> When the fonts are working it will be Gold indeed.

Well, the slow-fonts problem is the last real one... at least, for 2005. 2008 has too many random crashes.
And, vbaide also crash often in 2005, and you must be careful with lisp ide too : if you open it, open help inside it, close lisp ide and then try to close lisp help, it hangs.
So, don't forget to close lisp help when lisp ide is opened.
BTW I'm developing a large lisp app with strong automation usage and it works perfectly.

For the TT fonts I developed a small app that substitutes all TT on drawing with non-tt fonts, saving previous state on drawing itself. So, I run NOTT when I start working on my drawing, and another NOTT to restore original fonts just before sending to customers.
With no true type fonts in action autocad 2005 is even faster than in windows xp.

About the slow TT problem... I did some investigations, and it seems to do many unnecessary font calls (reading metrics too many times, for example) but I have no time yet to go deeper.

I'd put it to platinum without that one.....

Ciao

Max