[Wine] Re: Steam games crash during gameplay

kynan wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Aug 10 21:43:37 CDT 2008

I tried windows 98. It seemed like it lasted a tad longer maybe. But it still crashed =P. This is weird. Back in December I think, WINE functioned perfectly with CS:CZ. Made-for-Linux 3D games like Tux Racer and UrbanTerror were unplayable (graphics-wise). This was with Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon.

It was actually like this in April 2007 when I was running Ubuntu Feisty on this computer with the ATI fglrx driver. I could play CS using WINE but 3D in Linux games was unusable. That is to say that 3D models could be displayed, but with broken textures, lighting, etc and game menus were unreadable. All text showed up as some sort of pixelated Klingon.

Then I stopped using the Ubuntu-packaged ATI driver and switched to the latest Catalyst driver directly from ATI and upgraded to the next version of WINE -- at the same time. I don't know which upgrade caused the change. I could now play OpenArena and UrbanTerror and such but Steam in WINE began giving me this crashing problem. I don't think it's a graphics driver issue because single-player works just great.

I think it's a wine issue. BUT - I tried changing my wine version (back when I was still running Gutsy) to 0.9.47 (the oldest .deb available for Gutsy on winehq.org) and this failed to fix the problem.

Basically, All I can say is that it doesn't make sense.