[Wine] Does wine support my app ?

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 11 22:28:26 CDT 2008

uwe <wineforum-user at winehq.org> at Aug 11, 2008 1:47 PM (PNT) wrote about [Wine]  Does wine support my app ?

>Hi,
>I have some questions.
>
>How can I find out that my windows program is fully functional compatible with wine ?

If it truly is your program, you will have to install it under Wine and test it.  If it is a commercially available program, you can check the Applications Database (AppDb) to see if it does or does not work.  If there is no entry, you will have to attempt to install and run it.

>...or how can I find out that all win32 API things are supported by wine ?

There is a quite lengthy list of what API calls are supported as well as a longer list of what is not. As Vitamin pointed out, the only way to discover if your program needs an unimplemented API call is to install it and run it from the command line.  Here the FAQ is your friend.

>Are programs available which can test this ?

There is a compliance test, but that is only to insure that Wine is correctly implementing the Windows 32 bit API.  As items are added, the tests will grow in length.

>First I thought that I can do this with strace.......but this was wrong.

strace only works for UNIX/Linux programs and will not work with Windows based programs (Wine excluded as it is a UNIX/Linux program.)

James McKenzie