[Wine] Solatech Window Covering Software, MSDE, and Wine

RoutineT wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 13 12:46:32 CDT 2008

I am trying to convince my office to move to Linux desktops.  I have a workstation installed with Ubuntu 8.04:

Code:
mis at mis-desktop:~$ uname -a
Linux mis-desktop 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Fri Jul 11 21:01:46 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
mis at mis-desktop:~$ wine --version
wine-1.0

We currently use a *nix-based production software called PIC, but will be moving to another provider called Solatech.  Their software uses MSSQL on the server end, with a client installed on the workstation.  During the install, it tries to put in MSDE, which I understand (per AppDatabase and Ron Kegel) does not work with Wine.  But the actual install package looks like it is just trying to install MDAC components.  Even though MDAC goes through fine (no visible errors), the main package install fails immediately afterwards, reporting that MDAC did not go in.

Are there any further steps I can try to get this working?  I can make the install package available to anyone willing to play with it, and I am open to whatever experiments you'd like to run.  I'm moderately skilled in command line, but will need hand-holding for anything too deep.