[Wine] Re: Wine and Gnome menus...

mdevour wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 14 14:30:13 CDT 2008

dimesio wrote:
> In Windows, does MagicISO add itself to the menu?  I think (I could be wrong) that winemenubuilder reads what the app would insert into the Windows menu and translates that into a Gnome or KDE menu entry, but if the app doesn't add a menu entry for itself in Windows, Wine couldn't do it either.

Hi dimesio,

Well, I know that with my previous wine install it did create a desktop icon and a menu entry for at least the uninstaller app.

> Have you tried installing any other programs in Wine to see if they get added to the Gnome menu?

Not on this install, but before I wiped it I had Microsoft Office '97 working about as well as it would work on this machine... and menu items galore!

> The one other thing I can think of is, have you manually added any entries directly under Wine in the menu hierarchy (rather than using the convoluted array of submenus it like to create)?  I found that in KDE  doing that has prevented Wine from ever adding another entry to my menu. (Which is fine with me; I never wanted all that crap in my menus anyway.)

On the last install, yes, I did manage to create a menu entry using some CLI trick or other which I don't remember the details of.

Right now, menu-related activity is completely broken. Since I manually scrubbed the .wine directory and some menu items in, I think, .local and maybe .config, and re-installed the new version from WineHQ, there are no Wine, Wine configuration, or Wine uninstall menu items like there were before, and installing this one program (MagicISO) doesn't trigger the creation of anything new, menu-wise.

I suppose I should try installing Office 97 again and see what that might shake loose.

Thanks for your input,

Mike D.