[Wine] Questions about git and building wine

john.moonsugar wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Aug 16 23:18:55 CDT 2008

I was asked to try a regression test (http://wiki.winehq.org/RegressionTesting) to see if the bug I am seeing now is not present when I revert to a previous version of wine.

So, my first question is, how do I revert to a previous version of wine? I'm on Ubuntu 8.04, so it would be nice if there was an apt-get command I could use. I've tried "apt-get install wine-0.9.59", but that doesn't work. No longer in the repo I guess.

I presumed that I was supposed to build 0.9.59 from git. But I don't know how to do that, and I haven't found any specific instructions on how to do that.

I tried to interpolate from various other instructions and came up with:

git clone git://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git wine-git
cd wine-git
git checkout wine-0.9.59
git reset --hard wine-0.9.59

So I do the above commands and cat the file VERSION and it tells me:
Wine version 0.9.59

That looks like what I want. I don't want to overwrite my current wine install, so I add the option "--prefix=/usr/local/wine" to configure, and I do the configure and make depend and make and make install. Everything builds and installs fine.

I run /usr/local/wine/bin/wine --version and it prints out 1.1.2. I was expecting 0.9.59. Clearly I've screwed up, but I'm lost at this point.

I'm pretty unfamiliar with git. I have passing familiarity with all the configure and make stuff.

It would really help me if someone could give an easy recipe to follow to build and install multiple older versions of wine so I could do testing.

Thanks!