[Wine] ATI (rv350) + open-source driver + wine gaming issues

Wintershade wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Aug 18 08:02:24 CDT 2008

Hello everyone. I seem to have a bit of a problem running some 3D accelerated games under wine, while using the open-source ATI Radeon driver. My graphics card is Radeon 9700, and the open-source drivers overall work much better than the proprietary fglrx.

The fglrx driver allows me (in most cases) to run games like Temple of Elemental Evil (particularily) or Morrowind normally, but I can't use it for everyday work because of it's constant issues which get fixed and then re-appear from version to version.

The problem with ATI open-source driver is that no Direct3D stuff is accelerated. For instance, the Temple of Elemental Evil runs fine with fglrx, but with open-source driver even the main menu is unplayably slow (say, 1-2 FPS at it's best).

My xorg.conf section for the open-source driver looks like this:

Code:
Section "Device"
	Identifier  "** ATI Radeon (generic)               [radeon]"
	Driver		"radeon"
	VideoRam	65536
#	Option		"RenderAccel" "on"
	Option		"AGPMode" "4"
	Option		"ColorTiling" "on"
	Option		"AccelMethod" "XXA"
	Option		"EnablePageFlip" "on"
	Option		"AGPFastWrite" "False"
	Option		"XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "True"
	Option		"BackingStore" "True"
	Option		"DynamicClocks" "on"
EndSection

glxinfo reports that direct rendering is OK, and glxgears show about 2800 FPS (with fglrx they never show over 2950 FPS, so I guess the driver should be ok, and the acceleration should work fine).

Can anyone help me get something more decent out of Wine?
Many thanks!