[Wine] ATI (rv350) + open-source driver + wine gaming issues

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Mon Aug 18 12:03:51 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Wintershade <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Hello everyone. I seem to have a bit of a problem running some 3D accelerated games under wine, while using the open-source ATI Radeon driver. My graphics card is Radeon 9700, and the open-source drivers overall work much better than the proprietary fglrx.
>
> The fglrx driver allows me (in most cases) to run games like Temple of Elemental Evil (particularily) or Morrowind normally, but I can't use it for everyday work because of it's constant issues which get fixed and then re-appear from version to version.
>
> The problem with ATI open-source driver is that no Direct3D stuff is accelerated. For instance, the Temple of Elemental Evil runs fine with fglrx, but with open-source driver even the main menu is unplayably slow (say, 1-2 FPS at it's best).
>
> My xorg.conf section for the open-source driver looks like this:
>

> Code:
> Section "Device"
>        Identifier  "** ATI Radeon (generic)               [radeon]"
>        Driver          "radeon"
I thought the radeon driver supports 3D only to the R200 series and
that the r300 driver is needed for the R300 - R500 cards.. (And
RadeonHD for >= R500) (I see you report that direct rendering shows OK
though...)

The open source Radeon drivers seem to be relatively undocumented,
with almost every source saying something else...

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/R300_Portal