[Wine] ATI (rv350) + open-source driver + wine gaming issues

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Wed Aug 20 12:00:09 CDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 1:52 AM, Wintershade <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Oh. I see.
>
> Any chance that the ATI/AMD driver will become completely open-source, as it was announced some time ago? (not sure whether it was officially, though)

AMD released the specs needed to develop an open source driver. It is
being used for the radeonhd driver.

The man page: (for an unknown version) http://linux.die.net/man/4/radeonhd

Official page: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

The gentoo wiki has some potentially useful info: (even for other distros)
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_DRI_with_ATi_Open-Source_Drivers (this is
probably more relevant for the RV350... Although it seem that your
distro has the r300 driver compiled in if direct rendering seem ok...)
http://gentoo-wiki.com/RadeonHD

> ...hence the sudden increase in performance in the last month :D

I think that AMD/ATI is mostly supporting (at least providing
documentation for) the radeonhd driver...

The documentation for the R3xx series is relatively limited:
http://developer.amd.com/documentation/guides/Pages/default.aspx#open_gpu

(I see anyone it up in the time between me writing the reply and
actually sending it...)

Gert