[Wine] Re: jack built into wine?

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 20 12:28:07 CDT 2008

Dewdman42 wrote:

> vitamin wrote:
> >
> > Dewdman42 wrote:
> > > I have read several places that wine has some level of built in jack support.  can someone please comment on what exactly is built into wine in terms of Jack capability?
> >
> > Wine can use jack sound system directly for audio in/out.
> >

> Isn't that with the use of the add-on extra, wineasio?  Otherwise, how can a windows program direct audio output the the jack outputs you say that wine has available?  How exactly is the built in support for jack usable?

No wineasio is a totally different interface. I'm talking about winmm/dsound - the api all windows programs use to make sound. ASIO is an interface available on professional hardware only and supported by a small number of applications.

Dewdman42 wrote:

> > Dewdman42 wrote:
> > > But I am wondering if its possible to use the windows version of jack inside if wine
> >
> > No this is not possible. Wine does not talk to hardware directly, especially not the sound hardware.
>

> ??  This comment I don't understand.

Then the simple answer for you is - no you can't use "windows jack".