[Wine] Re: PolarProTrainer

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Aug 27 09:43:50 CDT 2008

Finnipinni, you should read some of those 10-minutes of UNIX faqs :-)

Open a terminal (Acessories) in Ubuntu.

use the cd command to change the current directory you are on (You are probably at your home dir, something like user at yourpc:~   where ~ means home dir).

So, type in:

Code:
cd path_to_your_application

if it is installed on the default wine program dir you should do something like:

Code:
cd ~
cd .wine
cd "Program Files"
cd application_directory

Or something like that, where ~ means home dir, in case you changed dir to another place. Program Files can differ with language (correct me if wrong).

Be aware that if there is a space in the middle of the name you must replace that space with '\ ' (dash with a space) or just put the whole dir under quotes, like I did with Program Files.

After this, you are now ready to run your application. If you don't know the executable name you can do:

Code:
ls | grep .exe

(That is the list command (ls) to list the current files in your directory which will be 'filtered' by the grep program so that only the files (and folders) that have .exe are shown. If you find this confusing you can just type ls or dir (also t list files or folders) and look for exe extension files)

If you are sure the executable file you found is the one you need you can run the application with wine, to do it type:

Code:
wine your_application.exe

OR, if there is only one executable and you don't want to type it in just do:

Code:
wine $(ls | grep .exe)

This will pass the output from grep as argument to wine

(sorry for so much info, but I think this will help you with the terminal)

Also, you probably will learn about super-users, sudo and su -. NEVER run wine as root, so NEVER sudo wine or su - ; wine.