[Wine] Can't install IE6

Daniel Kasak daniel.kasak at 247realmedia.com
Wed Aug 27 22:21:11 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 21:04 -0500, thomazian wrote:

> Hi awdoyle,
>
> I too wanted IE6 installed for the purpose of Outlook Express and its
>  mail handling, particularly with folders as I have many.
>  (...disregarding alternative clients with add ons for the moment)

Huh? You've installed Linux and now want Outlook Express? There are
plenty of scripts around for downloading email from hotmail and dumping
into a local account ( maildir, imap, etc ). Surely you'd be better off
doing this and running a proper email client like Evolution? If you want
to go all out, you could set up your own mail server, with IMAP, a nice
webmail client ( roundcubemail is great ), and be done with hotmail
completely.

> I know IE6 can be installed using Codeweavers Crossover Linux app (based on WINE).

I know people some people here will want to spit on me for mentioning
it, but there's a great script called ies4linux
( http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page ) that installs IE6
( and IE7, but doesn't quite work for me ). So you don't need Crossover
just for IE6.

I only do this for testing IE rendering. Seriously, there are better
email clients around ...

Daniel Kasak / DNA
Application Developer
T: +61.2.8968.4056 / F: