[Wine] World of Warcraft error. "Disconnected from server."

parran wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 28 09:00:06 CDT 2008

Hey all!

I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04, the 32-bit version on a 64-bit computer.  I installed the latest wine (1.0) from the terminal just by going:

Code:
sudo apt-get install wine

It installed perfectly and seems to work as it should.

I then downloaded the World of Warcraft trial from wow-europe, and installed it with wine by right clicking on it and selecting wine.

I am able to run the launcher and the main WoW window, but when I try to log in it immediately tells me:

Code:
Disconnected from server.

I searched on the internet and found this (http://www.wowwiki.com/Linux/Wine/Common_errors#Disconnected_from_server).

> Disconnected from server
>
> If recieved instantly after entering your password, this may mean a connection could be established with the server but not everything required was sent. You may try to delete your realmlist.wtf / config.wtf files or force a different realmlist. Alternatively, it could be because of wininet.dll. Try switching between the native one and the builtin one.

I tried deleting the realmlist.wtf / config.wtf files without success.  I also opened up winecfg and played around with wininet.dll, without any luck here either.

It connected through the internet when TryWoW.exe downloaded the trial onto my virtual C-drive, so that can't be the problem, right?

Does anybody know how to fix this?