[Wine] Re: Getting started developing for Wine.

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Aug 28 17:24:41 CDT 2008

leetleo wrote:
> Hi, I'm a Windows developer and recent Linux convert! The Wine project is very interesting to me, and instead of just waiting around for others to make  improvements, I'd really like to start investigating and making my own fixes to some of my favorite Windows applications so that I can enhance the Wine experience, as well as become more familiar with Linux (and open source) development in general.
>
> With that stated, I was wondering if anybody could direct me to some tutorials or code examples so that I could sorta get a feel for the process of hunting down and correcting compatibility issues for specific applications. Although I am new to Linux, I have strong OO and C/C++ skills and I'm up for the challenge. If anyone could give me a push in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks!

Since you know c and win32api there are just few things you need:
1. Get Wine source using GIT and compile it ( http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages and http://www.winehq.org/site/git )
2. Find a windows program you want to fix
3. Try to fix it  :D

You can find some useful information about hacking Wine here http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/winedev-guide/index Don't forget about MSDN as well

Alternatively, you can pick a place you want to work on (say if you know a bit more about common controls then d3d) then find some bugs in that area and try to fix them.

And to make sure you won't get lost in all of Wine - don't forget to subscribe to wine-devel mailing list.