[Wine] Re: Wine and Gnome menus...

mdevour wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Aug 29 23:43:57 CDT 2008

louie928 wrote:
> mdevour,
> If it's any consolation for you, I have about the same problem with no Wine application menus in Gnome...
> Did you figure this out, or dump Wine and move on.
>
> Louie

Hi Louie,

Yeah, I'm afraid that Wine has struck out for me so far on the couple of things that I need a windows program for: A simple to-do list manager I made out of Word's outline mode, and a couple of very old games I like to play. Neither would work well with this very old and slow computer with Matrox built-in graphics.

Somehow, Wine isn't managing to update the window cleanly in Word, and Starcraft, for one, hangs early during the install. Notice that both of these are likely related to the graphics.

Meanwhile, I've gotten Word to work reliably and with decent speed under VirtualBox, even on this machine, but any games more ambitious than Hearts or Solitaire are painfully slow with the virtualized graphics.

When I upgrade to more modern hardware and more recent versions of everything when Debian Lenny goes stable, both of which I hope will happen soon, I'll revisit and see how things are working out for Wine.

Mike D.