[Wine] FairUse Wizard Doesn't See DivX Codec

greenbehemoth wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Aug 30 05:38:57 CDT 2008

Hi all at the Wine Forum. This is my first post so apologies if my question is foolish. I'm quite new to Linux and totally new to Wine. I'm running Wine under Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 and have installed FairUse Wizard 2.8 to see if it will run. It's the full version which was released for free earlier this year and I've been using it successfully in Windows XP. I want to dump Windows but would like to continue using FairUse Wizard as it's such a great program and my attempts to rip with dvd:rip have so far failed (I don't like it anyway LOL).

So far I've successfully ripped a DVD with FairUse Wizard 2.8 with no problems using the built in XviD codec. However I prefer DivX. Although I've tried installing several versions of the DivX codec in Wine (ensuring divx.dll was in windows/system32/ in each case) FairUse doesn't see it and will not give me the option to use DivX to transcode the movie.

If anyone could suggest any way I can point FairUse at the codec or how I might register it with the program in some way, I'd be very grateful. Thanks for looking and regards,

green.