[Wine] Re: Could Not Locate Entry For HAL.DLL In Setup Log

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Dec 9 03:11:45 CST 2008

zenarcher wrote:
> vitamin, I don't think it's anything to do with spyware/viruses.  This particular application is an updater on insurance information, used only by independent insurance agents, in their business.  I think they pay a service fee for access to the data, necessary for their business operations.

Sure, but that application (or at least the installer) uses a DLL (library) that it probably doesn't even need, and yet that DLL is the source of all your problems so far. A Windows-native DLL probably doesn't work because it (or else the installer itself) apparently wants to do something with the Windows Service Packs, and Wine simply doesn't have these anymore. The only solution probably from here is to either test if an already installed-in-Windows version of the application could work in Wine (by copying it over to a Wine installation), or to report this problem to Wine's bug tracker and hope it can be fixed soon enough.