[Wine] WINE and older games

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 9 08:36:11 CST 2008

jeffz <wineforum-user at winehq.org> at Dec 9, 2008 6:14 AM (MST) wrote about [Wine]  Re: WINE and older games

>Magamo wrote:
>> I'll be honest, it seems a little silly to have to 'upgrade' vid cards just to play games that are 10-15 years old.  It's obviously a driver issue, and that's something for me to take up with the DRI folks, really.  I may upgrade, I may wait 'til I have a new, worthwhile rig.  I may just keep this around to try and hack around on the ati drivers at some point.
>>
>> However, it doesn't address the sound issues I mentioned, which other users of those games have reported before.
>

>consider the cost of employing x driver developers for y months to improve the quality of your video drivers, vs spending minimum $25 to buy a nvidia card.

Also, keep in mind that some folks cannot 'upgrade' there video system.  The cost may be too much or as in my case, I cannot as I use a laptop computer.  Thus the arguement is null and void.  AMD/ATI need to get their drivers fixed and now.  That is why we buy their products.  I went through this with OS/2 and they responded once they realized how big the target audience is.  AMD/ATI gets a great deal of support from Microsoft to build their Windows drivers.  If we, the community, could get around the propriatary portion of the driver, we might be able to help improve them.  Doing nothing but complaining actually moves things in reverse.

James McKenzie