[Wine] Installing Civ 3

jaceace01 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Dec 10 09:23:51 CST 2008

I tried to install Civ 3 the other day. I think I might have got it installed right. Then when i went to run it, it did not work properly while detecting the cd in the cd rom tray. I figured i would ask this question to see what everyone thinks.

Could it be that Civ 3 does not run due to the speed of the cd while running "through" wine?

Im pretty sure that Civ3 requires a specific read speed to read the cd.

I propose this fix.

Create an ISO on the hard drive and read the cd through the hard drive ( which should produce a faster read speed? ). The only problem i had with that is - Wine will not detect an iso image as an actual Cd for purposes of Cd usage.

I propose fix for that.

Allow wine to have a Cd emulator. that allows an "iso" to be mounted and "appear" to be a valid cd in a cd rom  tray.

Reading a cd from a hard drive should give a faster read speed. Maybe ... who knows maybe games that didnt work before might with faster read speeds of cd rom.

What does everyone else think?